Sound and Fury: The Angry Asian Podcast is an interview show where I get to sit down and talk with friends and folks who are doing interesting things and making stuff happen in the Angry Asian Nation. It will have a strong focus on art, media and culture, but certainly not limited to these areas.
This has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. Recently, I finally resolved to get off my ass, stop waiting for the right moment, hit record and just do the damn thing. So I hope you'll excuse some of the clunky technical issues while we figure out what the heck we're doing.
So without further ado, here's the first episode...
|SOUND AND FURY |
Episode 1: Ryan Suda, Blacklava
In this premiere episode, I hung out with Ryan Suda of Blacklava, the Asian American t-shirt company that's celebrating its 20th anniversary. We talk about turning twenty, controversial shirts and crappy Abercrombie & Fitch designs, among other things.
download | subscribe | iTunes
Some notes about this episode:
- Check out Blacklava to see all of Ryan's designs and get your hands on some cool Asian American empowerment apparel.
- Links to some of the specific t-shirt designs we talk about in this episode: Asian is Not Oriental, I Will Not Love You Long Time, Artfulbigotry & Kitsch, V. Chin, Nobody Loves an Angry Asian Man.
- Read more about how the "I Will Not Love You Long Time" shirt catapulted Vanessa Au into Digg-powered internet fame for a hot second: Digg, Flickr, and the Colonizing of Bridging Texts.
- Here's a look at the shirt that got Ryan into some trouble: POSER!
- And finally, here's a link to the poem that inspired the Blacklava shirt design that started it all: "Asian Is Not Oriental" - Anonymous (1989).