The Award is given annually for a children's picture book manuscript by a writer of color. The contest encourages writers of color to submit their work to a publisher that takes pride in nurturing new talent.
The winner receive a cash prize of $1000 and a publication contract, including Lee & Low's basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500.
Here are some more details about the contest:
2013 New Voices AwardThe manuscript submission deadline is September 30, 2013. For further guidelines, as well as information on past winners of the New Voices Writers Award, head over to the Lee & Low website. Good luck!
1. The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States and who have not previously had a children's picture book published.
2. Writers who have published other work in venues such as children's magazines, young adult, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented submissions will be accepted.
3. Work that has been published in any format, format, including online and self publishing, is not eligible for this award.
4. Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to LEE & LOW BOOKS will not be considered.
1. Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another.
2. Submissions may be FICTION, NONFICTION, or POETRY for children ages 5 to 12. Folklore and animal stories will not be considered.
3. Manuscripts should be no more than 1500 words in length and accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author's name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any.
4. Manuscripts should be typed double-spaced on 8-1/2" x 11" paper. A self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage must be included if you wish to have the manuscript returned.
5. Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
6. Submissions should be clearly addressed to:
LEE & LOW BOOKS
95 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
ATTN: NEW VOICES AWARD
7. Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers or to LEE & LOW BOOKS general submissions while under consideration for this Award. LEE & LOW BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly addressed or delivered submissions.