Asians, watch your back... In New York City, police are asking for the public's help finding a group of robbers responsible for a recent series of attacks targeting Asian people. Two to four suspects may be responsible for at least five violent street robberies in South Richmond Hill, Queens. All of the victims have been Asian.
Gang of robbers targeting Asians in Queens: NYPD
In all of the incidents, the suspects targeted Asian victims, primarily in the area of Liberty Avenue and 125th and 126th streets in Queens. The group approaches an unsuspecting target, assaults the victim, takes items -- including credit cards and cash -- and runs away.
The group has been linked to at least five robberies:
• Around 8:55 p.m. Thursday, April 10, near 126th Street and Liberty Avenue. A 31-year-old man was approached by a suspect who pushed him against the wall, demanded his property, and took his watch, necklace, bracelet, wallet, ring, iPhone and $80 before running off;
• Around 5 a.m. Saturday, April 19, in front of 125-04 Liberty Ave. A 34-year-old man was approached by four suspects who punched him and took his wallet containing $80 and miscellaneous items;
• Around 5:20 a.m. Monday, April 21, at the corner of Liberty Avenue and 125th Street. A 54-year-old woman was walking to a bus stop when she was approached by two suspects who demanded her pocketbook and pushed her up against a fence. The suspects took her wallet, $5, and her cellphone and fled in a black vehicle;
• Around 10:45 p.m. Wednesday, April 30, in front of 104-09 126th St. A 56-year-old man was approached from behind by two suspects, one of whom pushed him while the other took his wallet containing $560, credit cards, and a New York State driver’s license. The suspects fled on foot;
• Around 12:20 a.m. this past Friday, near Rockaway Boulevard and 113th Street. A 55-year-old man was approached by two suspects, one of whom followed him and took his wallet with $700, credit cards and a New York State driver’s license while the other hit him in the face. The suspects sped off in a black Kia Optima headed east on 111th Street.
One of the two suspects is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, standing 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. The other is described as a black or Hispanic male in his 20s, standing 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighing 160 pounds. One of the suspects was caught on video.
Anyone with information about the robberies is asked to call the NYPD Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS, log onto the Crime Stoppers website, or text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and enter TIP577.