South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national nonpartisan non-profit organization whose mission is to elevate the voices and perspectives of South Asian individuals and organizations to build a more just and inclusive society in the United States. They recently announced a job opening for a Policy Director.
The Policy Director, based in SAALT's office in Takoma Park, Maryland, will develop, direct, and implement SAALT's legislative, administrative, and public policy agenda and activities.
Here are some more details about the position:
Position Title: Policy Director
Job Status: Full-time position with benefits (including health, dental, vision, and transportation stipend)
Date of Posting: 8/13/2014
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Reports To: Executive Director
Priority Deadline: 9/8/2014
Start Date: 10/1/2014
SAALT seeks an experienced policy professional with a background in immigrant or civil rights to serve as a full-time Policy Director on our team.
The Policy Director will develop, direct, and implement SAALT's legislative, administrative, and public policy agenda and activities. The Policy Director will report to and work closely with SAALT's Executive Director, in addition to programmatic and communications staff and other consultants. For more information on SAALT's policy priorities, we encourage interested applicants to review the National Coalition of South Asian Organization's (NCSO) National Action Agenda and SAALT's policy reports, available at www.saalt.org.
- Tracking and analyzing relevant federal and state legislation and administrative policy related to immigration and civil rights
- Building and maintaining relationships with a broad network of key federal policymakers and staff (e.g. White House, Congress, federal government agencies) as well as advocacy organizations
- Developing organizational and coalition statements, Congressional testimony, comments on proposed law (e.g. guidance, regulation, etc.), and letters to policymakers to support SAALT's policy agenda
- Developing and organizing policy-related programming for SAALT's biennial South Asian Summit, including an Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill
- Identifying communications opportunities to outline SAALT's policy and advocacy priorities in collaboration with Executive Director
- Engaging in coalition-building and identifying opportunities to form alliances that advance SAALT's mission
- Identifying and coordinating opportunities for NCSO members' involvement in policy-related activities, both nationally and at the state/regional level
- Working closely with program staff to advance community-based engagement on policy issues
- Organizing conference calls, webinars, and townhalls in partnership with NCSO members to discuss policy issues, train individuals on lobbying, or outline talking points
- Responding to individual community members seeking assistance and information
- Speaking at conferences, briefings and meetings and answering media inquiries on policy issues
- Coordinating and supervising consultants and fellows as needed, on-site and remotely
- Organizing Congressional briefings and panel discussions on policy-related issues
- Developing, researching, and writing policy-related reports, community education factsheets, op-eds, newsletters, webinars, and action alerts
- Performing other duties, as assigned
SAALT will give priority consideration to applications received by September 8. For further information about the position, including instructions on how to apply, visit the SAALT website.