Lee & Low Books, award-winning publisher of children's books, is accepting submissions for the sixteenth annual New Voices Award, to be given for a children's picture book manuscript by a writer of color. The contest encourages writers of color to submit their work to a publisher that takes pride in nurturing new talent.
The Award winner receives a cash prize of $1000 and Lee & Low's standard publication contract, including our basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500. Past winners include Juna's Jar by Jane Bahk and It Jes' Happened by Don Tate.
Here are some more details about eligibility and submission guidelines:
1. The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States and who have not previously had a children's picture book published.
2. Writers who have published work in other venues and genres, including children's magazines, young adult, and adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented submissions will be accepted.
3. Work that has been published in any format, including online and self published, is not eligible.
4. Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to LEE & LOW BOOKS will not be considered.
1. Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another. Themes relating to non-traditional family structures, gender identity, or disabilities may also be included.
2. Submissions may be FICTION, NONFICTION, or POETRY for children ages 5 to 12. Stories with anthropomorphic animal characters will not be considered.
3. Manuscripts should be no more than 1500 words in length and accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author's name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any.
4. Manuscripts should be typed double-spaced on 8-1/2" x 11" paper. A self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage must be included if you wish to have the manuscript returned.
5. Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be mailed separately.
6. Submissions should be clearly addressed to: LEE & LOW BOOKS 95 Madison Avenue, suite 1205 New York, NY 10016 ATTN: NEW VOICES AWARD
7. Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers or to LEE & LOW's general submissions while under consideration for this award.
8. LEE & LOW BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly addressed or delivered submissions.
Manuscripts will be accepted through September 30, 2015. For further details about the New Voices Award, and for more information about past winners, head over to the Lee & Low website.