If you had told me in 2001, upon release of The Fast and the Furious, that they would eventually go on to make six of these freaking movies, I would have told you to get the eff out of my car. But indeed, they've not only made six, but they've turned Fast & Furious into an international blockbuster franchise -- and arguably getting better with each film -- helmed by one of Hollywood's most successful Asian American directors. Whaaat.
You've come a long way, Justin Lin. Fast & Furious 6 marks a closing chapter for his run with the series, after successfully weaving together the seemingly disparate character/story threads from the first three movies, spinning a movie mythology and managing a bulging ensemble while continually upping the action ante. Yes, this is a big, loud movie, but it delivers in all the ways that count.
The movie also closes the loop for fan favorite Sung Kang as Han, who [SPOILER, like seven years ago, bro] meets his fate in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift -- the third movie in the franchise, but chronologically, the bookend to the series so far. Hats off to one of the coolest Asian American movie characters ever.
Fast & Furious is now available on Blu-ray, DVD, VOD and Digital Download. Here's the trailer again:
Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson and Michelle Rodriguez lead a cast of returning all-stars as the global blockbuster franchise built on speed delivers the biggest adrenaline rush yet. Hobbs (Johnson) has been tracking an organization of lethally skilled drivers, whose mastermind (Luke Evans) is aided by the love Dom (Diesel) thought was dead, Letty (Rodriguez). The only way to stop the criminal mercenaries from stealing a top secret weapon is to outmatch them at street level, so Hobbs asks for the help of Dom and his elite team. Payment for the ultimate chase? Full pardons for all of them and a chance to make their families whole again.The exclusive Blu-ray bonus features include:
• Extended EditionA portion of proceeds from sales of the Fast & Furious Blu-ray/DVD will benefit Paul Walker's Reach Out Worldwide charity. Rest in peace.
• Deleted Scenes
• The Making of Fast & Furious 6: The Fastest of Them All - Explore the epic saga of the Fast films from Fast 3 through 4, 5 and now 6.
• The Making of Fast & Furious 6: Reuniting the Team - The return of all the characters (and actors) that make up the larger Fast family.
• The Making of Fast & Furious 6: Letty's Return - Explore how the creative team engineered Michelle Rodriguez's ("Letty") resurrection.
• The Making of Fast & Furious 6: The Mastermind and the Mole - Meet the Fast Six "newbies" - Luke Evans ("Shaw") and Gina Carano ("Riley").
• On the Set with Vin - On location in Tenerife, Vin talks through a stunt he is about to perform.
• Feature Commentary with Director Justin Lin
• Take Control - Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez and Director Justin Lin appear at key moments throughout the film, offering observations and reflections on the movie.
• Planes, Tanks and Automobiles: The London Chase - See how Justin Lin and his team pulled off car-flipping mayhem on a breathtaking scale in the city of London.
• Planes, Tanks and Automobiles: Highway Heist: The Convoy Attack - Dominic's gang saves the day in this high-velocity battle featuring a tank, an armored cargo carrier, a harpoon weapon and more.
• Planes, Tanks and Automobiles: The Antonov Takedown - Spotlighting Fast Six's spectacular finale, with the biggest plane on Earth in the mix.
• Planes, Tanks and Automobiles: Dom and Letty Race Again
• Gearhead's Delight - From the shop to the test track, to the set and back again, a look at the latest hot cars showcased in Fast Six.
• The Flip Car - We'll get an inside look at the Fast franchise's newest mind-blowing vehicle - the pivoting FLIP car.
• Hand to Hand Fury - This jam-packed featurette gives viewers a detailed look at the rehearsals, choreography, stunt work and filming of Fast Six's other bone-jarring fight sequences.